Participants will complete an on-line assessment to gain insight as to their natural and preferred approaches to listening. Their “Personal Listening Profile” becomes the workbook for the program. The profile identifies five approaches to listening:
- Appreciative (to relax and enjoy the listening experience)
- Empathic (to support and understand the emotions of the speaker)
- Discerning (to gather complete and accurate information)
- Comprehensive (to organize information and understand the meaning of the message)
- Evaluative (to critique information and make a decision)
The program will help the participants understand which approaches come most naturally, and which ones require more conscious effort. Most importantly, they will discover skills and techniques for using the most appropriate approach for any given situation.The program will also have participants practice using different approaches in appropriate situations.